Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Dodgers Sign Boothe

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Dodgers Sign Boothe
The Los Angeles Didgers signed pitcher Robert Boothe, who played with Asia University. Boothe is the son of an American father and Japanese mother.

Boothe is a 6'2, 210 lb right hander. According to the story, Boothe was pursued by as many as 5 NPB teams in the recent NPB draft. I'm a little shocked that some NPB team didn't take a flier on Boothe. According to the story, he was a member of the All-Japan College Team that played in Holland this past summer.

The Dodgers showed significant interest in Boothe, from what article the speculates. Here's some quotes talking about Boothe:
We feel Robert has a good chance to become an effective Major League pitcher. Our scouting department has followed Robert for a couple of years and his signing reaffirms our commitment to reaching out worldwide to find players. It is difficult to sign amateur players out of Japan and we are excited at this signing's historical significance.
- Dodgers' GM Ned Colletti
Robert is a quality athlete with a nice delivery, good arm action and a sound mix of breaking pitches which gives him a chance to become a future Major Leaguer. I'm proud of the job Acey Kohrogi and Keiichi Kojima have done in making this a reality.
- Dodgers' Assistant General Manager of Scouting, Logan White

Source: Los Angeles Times [Registration Required]
Comments
Re: Dodgers Sign Boothe
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 7, 2007 5:14 AM | CLM Fan ]

I knew this would happen. I think no NPB teams tried to draft him because they knew he'd turn down the offer to go to L.A. You don't want to waste a draft pick. Realistically, he was one of the top prospects out there. He's tall, has velocity, and will probably add a bit more to that heater.
Re: Dodgers Sign Boothe
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Dec 7, 2007 11:50 AM | NIP Fan ]

Is there some reason they couldn't have drafted him lower than the first two rounds? Some teams barely drafted anyone in the college part, only 2 players. I don't think they're losing much by doing that, unless there is some cost to the team to do more draft picks? Like last year when the Fighters drafted Chono with the 4th round pick, even though he had said "I won't go to any team except the Giants" (and sure enough, ended up going to Honda in the industrial leagues to wait out three years for his next eligibility). I don't think it was necessarily a bad move. It would have been a bad move if they had wasted a higher pick for him.

But yeah, I was also surprised that nobody tried to draft Boothe (especially the Fighters, since we're becoming the happy hunting ground for half-Japanese players).

But of course, we don't always know all of the circumstances involved behind these things, I guess. Either way, good luck to him.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.