Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Giants Sign Yabu

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Giants Sign Yabu
The San Francisco Giants have signed pitcher Keiichi Yabu [Baseball Reference] to a minor league contract.

Yabu hasn't pitched since 2005, when he spent the season with the Oakland A's. He signed a minor league contract with the Colorado Rockies, but requested his release after he failed to make the club. He went 4-0 with 1 SV and a 4.50 ERA in 40 games with the A's in 2005.

Source: Baseball America
Comments
Re: Giants Sign Yabu
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:28 PM | CLM Fan ]

I can't believe Yabu is still going. I hope he succeeds this time, because he'll be in Mac Suzuki and late Hideo Nomo territory if he can't make this work. I can't believe he's going to be 40 next year. It seems like ages since I last saw him pitch.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Dec 14, 2007 4:30 PM | FSH Fan ]

I was just pitching with him in Pawapuro; 11 Ks just yesterday, ha.

And yes, it's been a long while since we last saw him. Didn't know he was still around.
[ Author: rockeastwood | Posted: Feb 18, 2008 10:57 AM | YBS Fan ]

Here is a pic ture of Yabu in Camp for my SF Giants. Scottdale Arizona February 14, 2008.

Didn't realize he was such a big boy.

He said he wasn't surprised not many Japanese reporters where there. Most are at the Kansas City camp watching Nomo.
[ Author: rockeastwood | Posted: Mar 31, 2008 7:04 PM | YBS Fan ]

How about Yabu making the SF Giants roster? He might be gone after Vinny Chulk returns from the DL, but hey, he's on a roster right? Not bad for a 39 year old!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 6, 2008 11:29 PM ]

On a team that's right up there (down there) with the Pirates vying for the title of worst team in the NL? Not much to see here, move on.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.