Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Fukudome makes BIG first impression!

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Fukudome makes BIG first impression!
I didn't get to see it live, but I listened on the radio and it was an amazing performance against one of the best pitchers in the National League by Fukudome. Here is the headline from the Chicago Tribune’s website:
Fukudome effort wasted in loss:
Kosuke Fukudome was 3-for-3, including a game-tying home run in the ninth, but the pitching failed him as the Cubs lost their season opener to the Brewers, 4-3
Listening to the Cubs' broadcasters, they were very impressed with him: his patience at the plate, ability to spray the ball to all fields, and his power were all noted during the game. There was only one blemish, a base running error caused him to get picked off with 2 on and only one out, which was a crucial play. But as a Cubs fan, I couldn't ask for more in his debut, and I am looking forward to watching him for the rest of the year!

Here is a clip from ESPN:Fukudome excited the crowd of 41,089 when he doubled on his first major league pitch from Ben Sheets and then singled, walked and homered. He got ovations throughout the game, including one when he first went to right field. He tipped his cap and bowed at the beginning of what would be an auspicious start.

Gagne gave up a leadoff single to Derrek Lee in the ninth and walked Aramis Ramirez before Fukudome's drive into the right-center field bleachers. Fukudome then came out for a curtain call.

"He had a great day today. We don't really have a game plan for him yet. We'll see how we adjust to him," said Sheets, who gave up only two hits in 6 1/3 innings, both by Fukudome. "I know he's a good player."
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.