Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Matsuzaka Vaults Red Sox Into 1st at Break; Lin MVP at Futures Game

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Matsuzaka Vaults Red Sox Into 1st at Break; Lin MVP at Futures Game
With first place on the line at Fenway Park yesterday afternoon, Daisuke Matsuzaka closed out a sublime first half of the season. Despite battling the walks yet again, Matsuzaka went 6 solid innings and ducked in and out of trouble like he usually does.

Matsuzaka's final line was 6 innings giving up 4 hits, walking 5, hitting one batter and striking out 7 over 115 pitches. Using mostly his live fastball and a biting slider, Matsuzaka also has only given up one run in his last 4 starts, leading all Red Sox starters with a 2.65 ERA.

The bullpen preserved the win, with Hideki Okajima and Manny Delcarmen holding the lead for Jonathan Papelbon, who, despite giving up 3 hits and a run, recorded his 100th save.

Matsuzaka later said, "For me, I think what matters is that the team gets the win. Also, going five or six innings without any earned runs isn't that bad, is it? I thought that my strength out there was good today."

A criticism of Matsuzaka is that he's walked too many people, and he does lead the league in walks with 57 (he walked 80 all last year), but opponents are batting only .202 against him, which is 3rd in the league behind Justin Duchscherer of the Oakland A's (.186), and Shawn Marcum of the Toronto Blue Jays (.198), and his 2.65 ERA is tied for 5th in all of MLB.

If you ask me, these stats sort of mirror what Matsuzaka did his first 3 years with Seibu (at least the walks number).

In other Asian baseball news, 19-year old Red Sox Taiwanese prospect Lin Che-Hsuan won the MVP of the All-Star Futures Game at Yankee Stadium yesterday. He went 2-for-2 with a 2-run home run to lead the World team over Team USA, 3-0. Lin, who was signed last year, is with the Class A Greenville Drive with former independent Japanese pitcher, Terumasa Matsuo.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.