Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kei Igawa

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Kei Igawa "The Lost Yankee"
A very ruminative piece on Kei Igawa in this weekend's (July 23, 2011) New York Times, "Kei Igawa: The Lost Yankee" by Bill Pennington.

I hope Kei-san returns to NPB next year.
Comments
Re: Kei Igawa "The Lost Yankee"
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 24, 2011 10:55 PM | YBS Fan ]

By the sounds of it in the article, Igawa isn't ready to move back to Japan. Once his current contract is over, he'll be looking for another venue in North America.

I couldn't really tell from the article if he was still trying or not. Everyone seemed to understand if he was just going through the motions, but his actions all seemed to say that he was still working hard to get back up to ichi-gun. The tone was odd, as though Pennington-san had half a mind to writing Igawa off, and another half admiring Igawa's determination to continue to play in North America.
Re: Kei Igawa "The Lost Yankee"
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jul 25, 2011 1:32 AM | HT Fan ]

Dear Westbay-san:

I think you're right, that K-san is holding onto a dream of pitching in MLB. Despite some positive comments in the story, though, I wonder if he'll get any offers at the major league level. Poor Igawa took a terrific beating in the NY press when he was sent down, and any MLB team picking him up would have to deal with fans (well, so-called fans anyway) just chomping at the bit to heckle him. A few walks, or a homer given up, and it could all unravel.

I think the article was a bit unfocused, too. For me, the sad image that lingers is of Igawa feeling isolated in a country far from home, sticking to the routines he knows and trusts. I can't help thinking that everything would fall into place if he could just return to Japan. I for one will never forget some of his amazing performances for Hanshin. He was one of my favorite pitchers of all time, and I'd love to see him on the mound once more.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.