Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Scott Bullett

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Scott Bullett
Noticed in a recent Japan Times article that the Dragons were dumping Ozzie Timmons in favor of another ex-Cub, Scott Bullett. A MLB reference site I frequent confirmed my memories of Bullett having been out of MLB since after the '96 season. I was surprised to see his name resurface and was wondering if anybody knows where he has been playing the last five years?
Comments
Re: Scott Bullett
[ Author: Cub Fan | Posted: Jan 13, 2002 4:17 AM ]

As my name suggests, I am a Cubs fan. I remember Ozzie Timmons and Scott Bullet. They seemed like pretty much the same player to me. There might be something about Timmons and Bullet at Chicagosports.com. They have an ex-Cubs list. I don't know if they are there though.
[ Author: Cub Fan | Posted: Jan 13, 2002 7:17 AM ]

I found last year's stats for Scott Bullet. He played for the Reynoso Broncos of an independent league in North America. You can find his complete stats at Baseballamerica.com. Click on Player Finder and type in "Bullet, Scott" and hit enter. Here are some of his stats from last year: .341 BA, 104 H, 18 HR, 72 RBI, 66 K, 34 BB, 4 SB, .406 OBP, and 3 E in 83 games while playing 1B and OF.
[ Author: Guest: Dragons+Cubs | Posted: Jan 13, 2002 2:07 PM ]

Thanks for the info. I remember strikeouts being a big problem of his with the Cubs. It'll be interesting to see how he holds up this season.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 14, 2002 5:44 PM ]

The Dragons have had no patience with their non-productive foreigners the past few seasons (Nilsson, Timmons, and even Lee Jon-Bong?(sp)), so it's only a matter of time till we see this headline in the Japan Times: "The Dragons bite the Bullett." It's inevitable.
[ Author: Cub Fan | Posted: Jan 21, 2002 1:57 PM ]

I found the league. Scott Bullet played for the Reynoso Broncos of the Mexican League, a non-affiliated AAA league in Mexico.
[ Author: Guest: Will Flynt | Posted: Feb 11, 2002 7:19 AM ]

I think you guys will like what Scott brings to the table. I know him very well after playing against him in Mexico for a couple of years. He is way different than Ozzie Timmons in that he is not a spoiled ex-prospect but someone who is happy as hell for the opportunity to play in Japan. He can do everything, run, throw, hit, hit for power and play D. I am looking for good things from both Scott and Boi Rodriguez. They have paid their dues and are finally being rewarded. I had the same opportunity last year but did not get the chance to show what I could do there or I would still be playing in Japan. I hope these guys get the chance to show how good they are.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Feb 23, 2002 11:40 PM ]

Maybe we'll see this headline in the Japan Times-"The Dragons are No.1 with a Bullett!"

I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever to Mr. Flynt because anyone who plays professionally is obviously talented, but every player who fails to make an impact in Japan always comes up with excuses like, "I didn't get a chance to show what I could do," or "I was hurt and wasn't at 100%," or "The manager had it in for me," etc.
I once asked Brian Givens if he thought he was being shafted by then Lions skipper Higashio and he replied, "Well, I didn't really pitch that well this year..." I thought it was very magnanimous of him to be that honest.
[ Author: Guest: Will Flynt | Posted: Mar 3, 2002 8:39 AM ]

Null,
Playing baseball is all about opportunity. You can be the best player in the world but if you don't get the chance to show it no one will ever know. Each player is different. One guy might be a fast starter, another a little slower. If I had been given 20 starts in Japan I would still be there. I have been that way my whole career. I got 0 starts in Japan because I was not wanted by the Kintetsu staff and I did not get there through the Dodgers. I am very much like Brian Givens in that when I suck I tell you I suck. I can honestly say I feel like I was never in Japan. I did not suck or do well. I really never pitched. If you saw me in the last 2 of my 4 starts in the minors you would wonder why I was not given the chance to pitch in the big leagues there. In other countries they seem to bring foreigners in and it's produce or get out, with no guaranteed money. In Japan they guarantee everything but you might not get the chance to play.I would give back half my salary for 10 starts. I really wanted to prove I could pitch there. Japan is by far the worst place I have ever played. The only reason players go there is for the money. It is kind of sad in a way because there are many talented Japanese players and the stadiums are big league. But baseball in Japan is Japanese Baseball which means no fun. I play baseball for a living but it is and always will be a game to me. Like I said I hope Scott and Boi are in good situations and get the chance to play because these guys deserve the chance. Alot of guys who have been sent to Japan by Major League organizations did not deserve to be there. That's why so many guys who actually get every opportunity to play there seem to do badly. Myself, Boi, and Scott have experienced baseball everywhere in the world and are prepared for Japan and have earned the chance to play there. That's why I feel very good about Boi and Scott this year and hope they are given the chance to do what Cabrera and Mclain did last year.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Mar 3, 2002 11:44 AM ]

Mr. Flynt,
Fair enough. Now, I understand where you're coming from. What you said makes sense. We all know that if Ogi-kantoku had not given Ichiro a chance to play in 1994, we might have never known how talented he was, given the fact that Doi basically did not give him an opportunity to play on the top team.

It does sound like a sad situation if the only reason why players come here from other countries is for the money. There's not doubt that guys like Mike Greenwell and Kevin Mitchell only came here to take the money and run.

There's only one thing that confused me about your comments. If the Kintetsu staff did not want you there, then who did? I know that they get a lot of players through the Tommy Lasorda-Dodgers connection, but there must have been someone in the organization that wanted you there and wanted you to have an opportunity to shine. After all, they did make an investment in you, so it wouldn't make sense to waste time and money on you if they didn't want you there to begin with.

Also, could you tell us where you're playing now? I wish you the best of luck.
[ Author: Guest: Will Flynt | Posted: Mar 4, 2002 5:15 PM ]

Null,
I was sent over to Kintetsu by the Red Sox who had the agreement at the time with Kintetsu. Then the Dodgers moved in and I was done. The only problem here was I was told nothing of the pending change. I thought I would get to pitch and if I did well stay, if not, see ya. I have thrived during my career in places like Mexico and Taiwan where it was put up or shut up. But they gave you a chance. It is about right place right time but it's also about earning chances and being needed or wanted. Like I said if I would have gotten 10 starts, or even 1 start I like my chances of doing well. It is a little bit sad that people go places to play just for the money but as for me the only 2 years I ever went somewhere for cash were the 2 worst years of my life. I am a baseball dude who does the same work to pitch whether I'm getting paid or not. It's what I love and when I'm finished I will be able to say I did things the right way. I did not have fun last year in Japan and if I had it to over again I would not have gone. My bank account would be smaller but I would have been much happier and not feel empty about an experience. Like I said before I know what I can do and those people who have given me a real chance have been very happy with my performance. When I was younger the Japan experience would have bugged me but now I just chalk it up as experience and keep moving ahead. I was lucky to get there, even though I know I belonged and can pitch there but things did not work out. I just wish I would have know everything involved then I could have said no. There are plenty of other teams in Japan that I could have helped. Obviously the Buffaloes did fine without me and I wish their players, translators, and coaches the best.I have no hard feelings toward anyone there because it is their way of baseball and if you want to play it's by their rules. I appreciate your comments and root for Scott and Boi as they are good guys and I really think they are gonna do well in Japan. As for me this year, my dad is having some health problems and I am staying close to home for now. I will probably wind up in Mexico and I'm ready to go (6innings today and hit 92MPH)I will just have to play it by ear.
[ Author: Guest: Masamune69 | Posted: Apr 10, 2002 4:36 PM ]

mr.flynt, i don't know if you are still watching this thread or not but i just wanna say good luck on your debut in mexico and i hope your dad will be as good as your condition right now.i'm sure he will.best luck2u
[ Author: Guest: A guest | Posted: Mar 3, 2002 4:53 PM ]

Mr. Flynt, I know where you're coming from yet it sounds like sour grapes to me! If you knew baseball as you speak you would understand that this game BASEBALL is all being in the right place at the right time. You where given more opportunity than you claim. It wasn't just decided that you were not suitable for them. They continued to watch you after you were sent to the minors. And with their pitching it wasn't as if they were stacked. It's their choice to do as they please they are the team and you the employee. You may be a fine pitcher but it just wasn't your time! You'll get your time when it comes. Just keep pluggin' along and focus on the NOW not the THEN! Look at the odd paths of some other players. May is a goood example here also Cabrera has taken along road to his success. Just remember "Every player has a story" complaining makes only you look bad! Many careers are made or broke on one game, outing opportunity. I wish you luck this year!
[ Author: Guest: Bobby Killins | Posted: Mar 2, 2002 4:19 AM ]

Mr. Bullett will bring alot of tools over to Japan. After 1996 he has been to Taiwan, AAA with Colorado, Baltimore, and the Blue Jays. He has put up tremendous numbers in the Mexican league and in AAA. He is a gamer, he comes to play and will play to win. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit about 35 homeruns over there.
[ Author: roadhouseca | Posted: Mar 23, 2002 6:16 AM ]

I had the privilege of meeting Scott Bullett at a winter baseball clinic that he and a friend run in Welland, Ontario, Canada. Scott's efforts with the kids in his clinic will be a testimony to how well he is going to do in Japan. He gains and demands respect from the get go and he will do so in Japan too. A lot of people will be rooting for him as he is a class act and deserving of playing in Japan. His swing is still smooth and his knowledge of the game will take him as far as "he personally wants" in the game this year.
Will Flynt
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 5, 2002 5:59 PM ]

I have news about Will Flynt. On the transactions page in USA Today on May 23, it said that Mr. Flynt had signed with the Solano Steelheads of the independent Western League.
Mr. Flynt, we wish you the best of luck!
Re: Will Flynt
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 5, 2002 10:12 PM | YBS Fan ]

Could you post a link? USA Today's transactions page only goes back one week. And I couldn't find anything confirming the trade on Google (they cache pages which a lot of other search engines don't).
Re: Will Flynt
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 6, 2002 1:18 PM ]

Mr. Westbaystars, I'm sorry but I'm afraid I can't produce a link. I should've posted the news sooner, but I was busy and I only had time to jot the news down on a little notepad. You might want to see if there is a homepage for the Western League or for the Steelheads.
Back to Bullet
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jun 6, 2002 3:46 PM ]

Getting back to Scott Bullet, after a nightmare spring and a lackluster stint in the Japanese minors for the Dragons, he has staged something of a comeback, tripling, iirc, in his first official time at bat in Japan and then slugging two homers the following day. He is having an okay season, so he didn't throw in the towel like a lot of players would have. It also appears that he is playing extremely well defensively. So he so far has nothing to hang his head about.

As for Will Flynt, he was only given one-third of an inning in regular season play by Kintetsu, hardly enough time to show anyone anything. Considering how poorly the Buffs pitched last season (worst of all 12 teams in ERA, most average pitching changes of any club in Japanese ball), they should have given him more of a shot even in a mop up role. Who knows, they might have had another Ryan Franklin (who almost ended up in Yokohama, btw) on their hands.
Re: Back to Bullet
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Jun 6, 2002 4:42 PM ]

Yeah it does seem like Bullett is starting to come on as of late.

I don't understand why some teams (like Kintetsu with Will Flynt and Yomiuri with guys like Elmer Dessens and Jose Parra) go out and spend valuable time and money on these foreigners only to bury them in the minors. As Mr. Flynt said, obviously the Buffs did just fine without him, but you have to feel for a guy like him. He and guys like Dessens, Parra, etc. were definitely given a raw deal.

Ryan Franklin almost ended up in Yokohama? That's news to me. There's no way that it would've happened though. There's no way the BayStars would've signed a productive foreigner.... Micah Franklin was probably on their radar more than Ryan Franklin.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jun 8, 2002 4:27 PM ]

Well, I live in the Puget Sound area and indeed Franklin was talking with Yokohama in the event that he didn't make it with the big club last season. The Mariners have given up on three pitchers who are doing well, Kevin Hodges, Melvin Bunch, and Melquicides Torres (who is among the ERA leaders in the KBO right now). It's not necessarily the M's fault per se, since Bunch had already washed out with Cleveland, I think it was, and if you looked at Hodges' K/BB ratio with Yakult, it wasn't all that hot, though the end result he got in terms of wins wasn't bad. However, Kevin is now leading the Swallows in wins with seven and has pitched quite well, doing a much better job of managing his pitch counts than he did in 2001.

I see your point about Yokohama not signing productive pitchers. Shane Bowers and Jason Turman, who both may be released soon, I suspect, have hardly done them any favors.
This is the subject
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Jun 7, 2002 11:38 AM ]

The Solano Steelheads are at www.steelheadsbaseball.com. Will Flynt is listed on their roster page.
Flynt Released
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 2, 2002 3:10 PM ]

On the trasaction page of USA Today today, it had Will Flynt being released by the Solano Steelheads. It's a tough break for him, but I'm sure he'll bounce back.
Back to Bullet
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jul 2, 2002 3:40 PM ]

That's too bad about about Flynt.

Getting back to Scott Bullet, the Dragons have just added Omar Linares from Cuba and ex-Indians prospect Martin Vargas, so somebody will have to go and Scott is probably going to be it. At least he gave it a good shot.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 2, 2002 8:18 PM ]

Oops, it seems that someone jumped the gun. USA Today and CNN/SI both had Will Flynt being released by the Steelheads, but I just checked MSNBC Sports and on their transaction page, it said that Will Flynt has been loaned by the Steelheads to Cancun in the Mexican League. I guess he's going to play in Mexico like he said he would do all along.

On the same page, it said that OF Mel Hall has signed with a team in Springfield/Ozark (Missouri) in another independent league. I bet it's the same Mel Hall that played in Japan in the early to mid '90s with the Marines and the Dragons. What is he, like 50 years old or something?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 2, 2002 9:24 PM | YBS Fan ]

- What is he [Mel Hall], like 50 years old or something?

Well, let's take a look at his profile page. It says he was born 1960-09-16, so that'd "just" be 41 right now. I'd say that he's been wise with his body, staying away from the steroids and getting plenty of exercise.

While it's not exactly the same level, our ace pitcher on our local softball team plays in two senior (over 65) leagues as well. He's got snap on his fast ball, a nice curve, and after the fast ball, his change-up is unhittable. And of course, he's got great control of all of his pitches.

There was an article, at the Guru, I think, that talked about Bonds not getting any big offers after last year due to his age, and that it might be a little unfair a criteria. It seems to me that my childhood hero, Willey McCovey, played well into his 40's as well.
Re:Scott Bullett
[ Author: Guest: Chris McCormick | Posted: Sep 16, 2002 10:17 PM ]

Scott Bullet is a phenominal baseball player, I have never met someone so physically fit. He can hit for power, amazing speed, and has a tremendous glove. I attend his winter clinic in Welland, Ontario, Canada, and he is an amazing guy to be around, he devotes all of his time to us and making sure he does his best for everyone around him. I am very proud to say that I am one of his students in the clinic and hope to someday be as good of a ball player and as big of heart as he has.

G'day
[ Author: Guest: Mike Anderson | Posted: Feb 25, 2004 5:31 AM ]

Scott has been my coach for the past winter. I play for the Niagara Rebels out of Wellend, Ontario, Canada. Scott is a really nice guy and I am also proud to be known as one of his students.

He is off to Mexico now, though, to continue playing, and then I think he goes to Tailand.

That is where Scott has been, with the people who need him, his students. Scott treats us like family and is in it for us, not himself. He would do extra work if we asked him to, if it would help improve our playing.

Good luck this year Scott, and for those of you who don't know him on a personal level, you are missing out.

Thanks.
[ Author: Guest: red | Posted: May 26, 2005 10:48 AM ]

Scott bullet is playing with the Yucatan Leones (Lions) in Mexico.
[ Author: hakuho fan | Posted: Jun 17, 2005 7:30 AM ]

I got to know Ozzie Timmons a little when he was in Atlantic City playing for the Atlantic City Surf (Atlantic League - Independent). He was a pretty friendly guy, and I hope he does well wherever he ends up.
[ Author: Guest: Fredo | Posted: Aug 4, 2005 1:45 PM ]

Scoot Bullet, great player in Sultanes of Monterrey, Mexico last 3 years. Now playing on Yucatan Mexico in Leones team. I fan of this great player.

Sorry for my English, I speak Spanish only and live in Monterrey house of the Sultanes baseball team.
[ Author: Guest: jesse | Posted: Jan 18, 2007 10:41 AM ]

Scott Bullett lives in my town and came to my school today. Good guy.
[ Author: Guest: julia | Posted: Mar 28, 2007 8:42 AM ]

I live in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico and Scott Bullet had a fabulous season with Los Leones de Yucatan in 2005. He started 2006 with us and moved on to the Olmecas de Tabasco in the city of Villahermosa, Tabasco. If you are a big fan of Scott Bullet keep your ears open for my book about the 2005 season of Los Leones, including pictures and info about Scott.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Mar 28, 2007 3:07 PM | SFT Fan ]

No disrespect to anyone in this topic, but how many times do we have to bump a four year old topic? Bullett hasn't played in NPB since 2002. Not much more we need to know about his journey, except that it's closed.
[ Author: Guest: mccormick | Posted: Jan 17, 2008 11:24 PM ]

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this. Scott Bullett, to me, is the best baseball player ever.

McCormick
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.