Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

D. Matsuzaka?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
D. Matsuzaka?
Hi. This is a great site. Has anybody heard if D. Matsuzaka will be playing in the U.S. next year? I believe he will be elegible. Is that correct?

Thanks.
Comments
Re: D. Matsuzaka?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 1, 2005 9:23 AM ]

- Has anybody heard if D. Matsuzaka will be playing in the U.S. next year? I believe he will be elegible. Is that correct?

No, I haven't heard anything about Matsuzaka being in the majors next year. One, he's not eligible for free agency this year, and two, Seibu for sure won't post him.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 6, 2005 2:54 AM ]

If I'm correct, didn't Matsuzaka have a press conference during this past off-season where he made his intentions known on going to MLB? And didn't the Lions management make a statement a day or so later that they would not block Matsuzaka's wishes to go to MLB? I think this happened sometime in December 2004. My guess is that barring an arm injury, Matsuzaka will finish the current season, pitch in the up-coming international tournament, and then move on to MLB in 2006.
[ Author: alappin | Posted: Jul 27, 2005 3:10 AM | SL Fan ]

Isn't he a free agent after this season? Or am I mistaken?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 27, 2005 3:46 AM ]

I think Matsuzaka a FA after the 07 season at the earliest, though I'm not certain.

With the idea of Seibu posting Matsuzaka, I doubt it as Matsuzaka is Seibu's star player and their star pitcher.
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Aug 10, 2005 7:40 AM ]

Can Seibu trade him for Matsui?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 10, 2005 10:03 AM ]

- Can Seibu trade him for Matsui?

I suppose you mean Kaz Matsui, don't count on it. The Seibu Lions aren't trading their ace and star player for Kaz Matsui, even though they would love to have him back.

Seibu isn't posting Matsuzaka either. The only way Matsuzaka is going to the majors is via the FA wire, because Seibu is guaranteed not to post him or trade him to a major league team.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jul 27, 2005 11:20 AM | HT Fan ]

More info here.
[ Author: Guest: If | Posted: Sep 24, 2005 3:20 PM ]

If Daisuke would be posted, which team would most likely get him, Yakees or Mariners?
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Sep 25, 2005 2:30 AM ]

The Mets!

Kaz, Takatsu, and Matsuzaka. Three time's a charm.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 25, 2005 10:27 AM ]

In all seriousness, I'd like to see the Orioles make a serious run for Matsuzaka. He would be the pitcher we need at the top of our rotation.

However, with Orioles' owner Peter Angelos, he will do nothing to help our team and made nearly no effort to try and sign Hideki Matsui in 2002.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 25, 2005 2:00 PM ]

What about Tsuyoshi Wada? I've herd he wanted to make the leap to the majors.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 12, 2005 12:15 PM ]

If Matsuzaka came to a MLB team in 2006, would they let him play in the WBC?
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Oct 12, 2005 1:36 PM ]

Why not? They should adopt as similar rule as the NBA does for non-American players - they play for their native country.

There was some musing in a New York paper that the Yanks may make a run for Matsuzaka, though they have loads of good to middling pitching already.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Oct 31, 2005 4:31 PM | SL Fan ]

Looks like he won't be posted. [Full Story - Japan Ball]

It's a wise decision for Seibu, as they won't lose Matsuzaka to FA until 2008. So I put my yen on him being posted after next season, which would leave him with one more serviceable year before free agency (just like when Ichiro was posted). Seibu has nothing to gain from posting him earlier, except to honour Matsuzaka's request.

But for the sake of Matsuzaka, I wish he was posted this year. He seems to be OK with the crazy workload (15 complete games this year!), but it might be a matter of time before accumulated stress and fatigue gets to his shoulder and arm. And he's clearly not appreciated by conventional Seibu fans who only see his lack of wins (which is largely caused by the run support he did not receive during the season), but his other stats are excellent.

So, yeah, the Posting System is flawed.
[ Author: Guest: Glenn | Posted: Mar 26, 2006 4:18 AM ]

This might be way off the wall, and I have no basis for this whatsoever, but I think he would be best served as a Blue Jay. Now before everyone jumps all over me, let me give my reasons why!

First Toronto has a high ethnic background and have never had an Asian player of any calibre on their team, so if they brought in Matsuzaka it would help to build a higher attendence at the ball park! Second the scrutiny in Toronto would be less for him as Toronto is a hockey town first and therefore the ball team flys a little under the radar at most times. And finally with Halliday and Burnett locked up for the next 5 years he'll not be expected to be the ace of the team and can grow into a comfortable transition to the North American surroundings!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 15, 2006 4:44 AM ]

Two Words. No money!

The Jays will not spend the money for the Posting and then definitely would not spend the money signing Matsuzaka. As a Mariners fan living in Toronto this could work out well though if the Mariners do sign him; Matsu will be in Toronto for at least 6 games next year. Nice!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 25, 2006 12:14 AM ]

This guy will be very expensive, and as a Yankees fan I feel they will make a run for him. You need to pay the Lions $20 million just to negotiate! George is crazy enough to give Matsuzaka whatever he wants.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 15, 2006 5:31 AM ]

The Boston Red Sox, baby.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Dec 15, 2006 11:46 AM | SL Fan ]

Well, that was mostly agreed upon Red Sox terms. I'm surprised that there aren't bigger incentives in the contract, but I guess that just shows how Boras had almost no leverage and bluffing to the last minute didn't work at all. A big lesson learned about the Posting process? [ESPN Article]
[ Author: Guest: Jonny | Posted: Feb 1, 2007 1:25 PM ]

Yes, I've heard of him. He played for the Seibu Lions. I watched him several times last year. He's an average pitcher. He does have that funky looking gyro pitch, but once they learn to hit it in the MLB it's over for him. I don't know why the Boston Red Sox are so pumped up over this dude.

Go Lions!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.