Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Fighters Agree to Post Iriki

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Fighters Agree to Post Iriki
Gah. [Yahoo! NPB, Japanball]

As if the Fighters' rotation didn't already have enough issues, now this. The thing is, is Iriki really an MLB quality pitcher? I see him as an injury risk who is likely to end up pitching in AAA if he comes over here at all. I sort of doubt any team is really going to put up much posting money for him.

Do Japanese players really see "playing in AAA ball in America" to be the same as "realizing your dream of playing in the MLB"? Sigh.
Comments
Re: Fighters Agree to Post Iriki
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 18, 2005 1:58 AM ]

However, according to that same article, didn't it say the Fighters decided to release Iriki?
The Fighters have decided to release Iriki and will take the neccessary procedures at the baseball commissioner's office as early as Thursday.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 18, 2005 8:08 AM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, that's what I read in Nikkan Sports as well, that the Fighters were releasing him similar to what the Hawks did for Iguchi. This lowers the price on Iriki (no closed bidding) and hopefully makes him more attractive to MLB teams, so that Iriki can "fulfill his dream."
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Nov 18, 2005 9:37 AM | NIP Fan ]

Yeah, I'm pretty confused between the articles I've seen. Several say "released" but several also talk about him going over via posting. I wonder if they consider being released to be in the same vein as posting, since he had to get the team's permission to pursue it and all?

Either way, I don't think he's going to end up pitching above AAA for an MLB team, and I shudder to think of the Fighters' pitching staff next year. I should probably change my "favorite team" tag on here to the Marines already.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Nov 18, 2005 10:35 AM | SL Fan ]

He has decent peripheral stats (strike out rate of 7.29 / 9 innings), but some of that will probably be lost in the transition to the NA game, and he's not getting any younger. [2005 Fighters Pitching Stats - Goo Japan - in Japanese]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 19, 2005 12:14 AM ]

He'll probably be similar to Yabu, just pitching a bit better in my opinion. I'm interested in seeing his MLB conversion rates, maybe Jim can help us with that?

He could be signed as a long reliever/5th starter. Many teams are in need of pitching, so I see a chance for Iriki to get signed by a MLB team.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 19, 2005 10:47 AM ]

I'll update my article on 2006 imports soon to add Iriki.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 24, 2005 11:47 AM ]

I'll try to get my article changed by the end of the weekend (the holiday for me and the webmaster of the site, you know), but the bottom line is I don't think Iriki is much more than a chance to throw away money for a major league team. Only once in the past five years has he had a projected ERA under 5, and the past three years are DNP (due to injury, I'd presume), ERA of nearly 14.00, and "improvement" to an ERA over 7.00. Add to that he's 33 years old, and I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.