Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Fujikawa Laying Groundwork for MLB Posting in 2009

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Fujikawa Laying Groundwork for MLB Posting in 2009
This Sanspo article from a few days ago says that Hanshin's 'F' (Fujikawa) of the JFK triple stopper trio had laid the groundwork for possibly being posted to the Majors after the 2008 season.
Comments
Re: Fujikawa Laying Groundwork for MLB Posting in 2009
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 12, 2007 2:27 PM | SFT Fan ]

Interesting, I, though, can't see Hanshin going through on these wishes. Unlike Igawa, I just can't see Hanshin selling him to MLB unless they are losing money that I'm not aware of. If Hanshin did post him, they'd be in more trouble I figure, with a question mark at closer. Count me as saying this is not likely in my book. Though I could be wrong, I seriously doubt it.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 12, 2007 8:21 PM | HAN Fan ]

Fujikawa indicated a wish to go to the Majors in 2005. He was quiet after that and we didn't hear anything about it. Just recently he did indicate a wish to be posted at the end of 2008.

Like John, I cannot see the Tigers agreeing to this. Whilst they could use Kubota or Williams (if he is still OK) at closer, neither of them have quite the temperament as Fujikawa.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 13, 2007 8:51 AM | SFT Fan ]

Well as I expected Hanshin turned down his request. Hanshin owner, Tsuneaki Miyazaki, said they can't accept his request, saying:
We will never consider using the posting system for him. He is not just the Tigers' Fujikawa but he is a treasure of Japanese baseball. He has to think about that.
Source: Japan Ball
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:00 PM | CLM Fan ]

I am 100% with Miyazaki. Losing a larger than life pitcher like Fujikawa would really hurt NPB, and especially the Tigers. A lot of players can be easily replaced, but he isn't one of them.
[ Author: TimMac | Posted: Dec 14, 2007 12:37 AM ]

I most certainly agree that losing a pitcher of his quality would be very difficult, but if Fujikawa wants to explore the MLB option, is keeping him regardless of his personal position really that sound of a decision on Hanshin's behalf? At some point in time in the immediate future I think that both the posting system and the 9 year free agency will be challenged, and change will occur.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 14, 2007 1:54 PM | SFT Fan ]

- [...] but if Fujikawa wants to explore the MLB option, is keeping him regardless of his personal position really that sound of a decision on Hanshin's behalf?

Though, would posting him to MLB help the Hanshin Tigers as a team? It would leave a big gaping hole at closer for Hanshin, though.

-"He has to think about that"? My take is that he already has, and the bigger problem is the very tough restrictions currently in place on player movement in the NPB might have to be thought about as well?

I don't think Hanshin officials were talking about Fujikawa thinking about whatever, they were talking in the context of the good will of the future of Japanese baseball.
[ Author: TimMac | Posted: Dec 14, 2007 12:42 AM ]

"He has to think about that"? My take is that he already has, and the bigger problem is the very tough restrictions currently in place on player movement in the NPB might have to be thought about as well?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 12, 2007 11:41 PM | YBS Fan ]

According to this Sanspo article, Fujikawa has spent his second negotiation session with Hanshin and again requested to be posted after the 2008 season. However, Hanshin is against the idea.

The article states that Fujikawa has at least another four years before he becomes a free agent.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.