Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Denny Tomori to RedSox?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Denny Tomori to RedSox?
Major.jp (in Japanese) reports, along with bunch of other newspaper web sites, that BayStars' free agent Denny has reached a one year deal with the RedSox.
Comments
Re: Denny Tomori to RedSox?
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: Jan 28, 2005 4:04 PM ]

This is "Frank" who has been posting on here the last 2 years, I finally stop being lazy and created an account, since I've seen another Frank on this board before.

Anyways, is Tomori's real first name Denny? I was stunned when I first heard of him and thought he might be another Micheal Nakamura, but then I found out he's 100% Japanese and he's 37 years old. When I first thought he was a Japanese prospect who didn't have experience of playing Japan. I.e. Micheal Nakamura.
[ Author: Guest: Bostonbakedsox | Posted: Jan 28, 2005 4:46 PM ]

What does Denny Tomori throw and is he any good?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 28, 2005 7:45 PM | YBS Fan ]

Paraphrased from "Pro Yakyu Name Dictionary 2001":

Yui Tomori was born Florence F. Denny in Urasoe, Okinawa. His father was half French, half Indian, and his mother was from Miyakojima. He was raised in the U.S. by his mother before returning to Japan his second year of high school (equivelent to 11th grade in North America). Upon returning, he changed his name to Yui Tomori.

In 1995, Tomori changed his registered name to "Denny Tomori," then to just "Denny" in 1997.
[ Author: daigo51 | Posted: Jan 30, 2005 12:50 PM | CD Fan ]

Is his name spelled Denny or Denney? I've seen it both ways and it will be interesting to see what Red Sox list him as.

Yui Tomori? Denney (or Denny) Tomori?
Re: Red Sox Sign Tomori
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 30, 2005 11:35 PM ]

Former BayStars' pitcher Denny Tomori signed a minor league contract with the Red Sox. Tomori will be invited to spring training. Tomori will get a $200,000 signing bonus and agreed to a contract of $315,000 (with perfomance related incentives). [Link1 - MLB.com] [Link2 - Japan Ball]
Re: Red Sox Sign Tomori
[ Author: daigo51 | Posted: Feb 1, 2005 2:32 AM | CD Fan ]

So Japan Ball has it DENNEY with 2 E's. But now the Japan Times is spelling DENNY. I am very confused.

Oh, and the ">Red Sox web site has it DENNY.
[ Author: Guest: Hans Fan | Posted: Feb 8, 2005 2:20 AM ]

- Yui Tomori was born Florence F. Denny in Urasoe, Okinawa. His father was half French, half Indian, and his mother was from Miyakojima. [...] Upon returning, he changed his name to Yui Tomori.

In 1995, Tomori changed his registered name to "Denny Tomori," then to just "Denny" in 1997.

I thought he does not know who/where his father is. He changed his registered name couple times and put his first name Denny (instead of his last name) on the uniform so "his father would be able to find him if he wants to." At least, that's what I thought.
Re: Denney Tomori to RedSox?
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Feb 16, 2005 5:58 PM ]

On the news wire today, the AP has his name down as "Denney Tomori," the same way he had it on his uniform. If Denney himself had "DENNEY" on the back of his uniform, I think it's safe to assume that that is the correct spelling.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 17, 2005 3:17 AM ]

The Red Sox' website has Tomori's name as Denny Tomori. [Link - MLB.com]
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Feb 21, 2005 12:13 AM ]

Well, maybe the Red Sox web site says "Denny," but his Red Sox jersey says "Denney."
Re: Update
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 5, 2005 8:55 AM ]

Tomori got a save Thursday (March 3), pitching one inning, giving up 2 runs, which only one were earned. [Link - MLB.com]
Denney/Denny
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 14, 2005 1:31 PM ]

I could have sworn that I saw Denny on the back of his jersey the other day.
Re: Denney/Denny
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Mar 17, 2005 11:01 PM ]

There's no way you saw "Denny" on the back of his jersey. Trust me, he goes by "Denney."
Re: Denney/Denny
[ Author: Guest: Miyuki | Posted: Jul 13, 2005 2:24 PM ]

His name is spelled Denney!
[ Author: Guest: Miyuki | Posted: Jul 13, 2005 2:21 PM ]

Yo.

My mom is Denney's cousin. I am serious. And he is not a 100% Japanese, he is also American because my mom's uncle is American and his mom is Japanese.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 10, 2005 9:51 PM ]

I know I'm late on this, but I believe that when I saw Denney in Spring Training he had "Denny" on the back of his jersey. Can't explain it.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 14, 2005 4:14 AM ]

All of this stuff about what his Boston jersey said is settled. I thought it said "Denny"; I was mistaken. Here is a picture [Boston.com].
[ Author: Guest: Miyuki | Posted: Oct 18, 2005 2:08 PM ]

He has many names, and it is "Denney" and "Larry." He goes by Larry, well, that's what he told me to call him. He is back in Japan now and maybe will move to California were I live. He wants to be close to family, I guess. Well, there is still family in Japan. He is a really good baseball player and a really cool guy. He might play baseball in Japan again.
[ Author: Guest: Miyuki | Posted: Oct 18, 2005 2:03 PM ]

Dude, his reall name is "Denny," but he changed it to Larry. He is half Japanese and half American. He grew up in Japan. Well, I would know this because he is my mother's cousin. He came to vist a week ago. He is really cool and so are his wife and son.
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Oct 18, 2005 7:29 PM ]

Thanks for the info, but now you've got me really confused. Enough already with the his ethnicity - we already know that he's part-American and part-Japanese. That part has been established.

You say in separate posts that he's "Denney" and "Denny" in addition to being "Larry." Well, which one is it? I'm going to go out on a limb here, but if his uniform says "Denney" and he's been wearing "Denney" on his back for the last 7 or 8 years, I think it's safe to assume that he's "Denney."

Now he's Larry, huh? With all those names, I think Larry is hairy and scary.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 16, 2006 11:36 PM ]

He was never used this year. What a waste of money.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jan 17, 2006 10:18 AM | SL Fan ]

Chunichi signed Denny. [Full Nikkan Sports Article - in Japanese]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 17, 2006 12:50 PM ]

Yes, the Dragons brought Tomori back, which was announced a while back. Why the Dragons brought him back I don't know.
[ Author: Guest: DCS | Posted: Mar 23, 2007 1:59 AM ]

Miyuki,

You're absolutely correct. My mom and Larry's mom have been friends since high school. I know Larry has a sister whose first name begins with "J". Although I know her name, I will not reveal it for the sake of anonymity.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.