Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Murakami Masanori

Discussion in the Pro Yakyu History forum
Murakami Masanori
Did Murakami ever play in Japan? He made a few appearances for the SF Giants in the 1960's and his numbers seem pretty good. I wondered what happened to him and if he went on to have a career in Japan.

Stan
Comments
Re: Murakami Masanori
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 16, 2005 11:27 AM ]

Here's a brief article which discusses his NPB career: [Link - BaseballGuru]

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: frankistheman | Posted: Feb 16, 2005 2:00 PM ]

Yes, with the Nankai Hawks, and the Hawks are the reason why he was forced back to Japan.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 17, 2005 2:57 AM ]

I'm sorry, I forgot the source of Murakami's NPB stats. [Link - Japan Baseball Daily]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 17, 2005 2:21 AM ]

Murakami played two years with the San Francisco Giants, the Giants and the Nankai Hawks got into a contract dispute, when the Giants wanted to keep Murakami. Murakami went on to be a pitcher in Japan, he went on to be 103-82 with 30 saves, and a 3.64 ERA. Murakami went on to try a comeback with the 1983 SF Giants in spring training, and currently works for NHK network. [Link - MLB.com]
[ Author: SFGiantsFan | Posted: Feb 17, 2005 9:02 AM ]

Thanks everybody. The analysis on baseballguru.com was interesting. The idea that Murakami may have been more successful in the States, since he likely would have stayed a reliever, is intriguing.

And the mlb.com article was nice, too. Interesting to read his quotes about Nomo and the Dodgers. I am reading "You Gotta Have Wa," and his "old school" team loyalty really comes through in the article.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.