Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Do NOT Buy Pawapuro 13

Discussion in the Video Games forum
Do NOT Buy Pawapuro 13
Now that most of the Japanese fans have been able to play the game, here are some of the many negative comments on 2ch. I'm going to use nice words, even though the translations aren't as harsh as the original meanings.

"Pitching is terrible!"

"Pitch speed is too slow, the loading times are too long, Success Mode is boring, team motivation in My Life is annoying, and I can't strike anyone out."

"I've had enough with Pawapuro. They should only release Pro Yakyu Spirits."

"This is such a boring Pawapuro. I'm selling it for 3000 yen tomorrow."

"I bought it yesterday, played it, and I'm selling it today."

"I can't strike anyone out at all. All the computer does is hit my first pitch over and over again."

"Konami, do you even test play these games?"

"This is the first time I've ever sold a game on it's release date."

"It's like it went back to PS1. The polygons in My Life are disgusting. What the heck is that?"

"I was going to buy this because of the Famitsu review, but reading all these impressions scared me out of it."

"Did the staff think it was fun to play this?"

"I didn't like both PawaMajor and Pawapuro 13. I've been playing this series for 10 years, since Pawapuro 3. I think I'm going to graduate from(translation: quit) Pawapuro. It's been fun."

"Tanibuchi Pawapuros are awful. They were so much better when Akada was producer."

"As of today I'm also graduating from Pawapuro."

"I sold Pawapuro 12 to get Pawapuro 13. I just sold Pawapuro 13 today to get Pawapuro 11."

So as you can see, Konami has a lot of work ahead of them if they want to reverse the damage they've done in 2006. I have to say, I'm siding with guys who are "graduating" from Pawapuro.

It's funny to see the Amazon Japan reviews, because the honest ones give 1 and 2 stars. There are some obvious shill reviews on there that give perfect 5 stars. I have to wonder whether those are Konami accounts, because it seems as if nobody on 2ch likes the game.
Comments
Re: Do NOT Buy Pawapuro 13
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 15, 2006 4:26 AM | CLM Fan ]

I guess I'll continue reporting on how things are going on 2ch. The threads that were overflowing with posts before release have come to a complete stop, and it seems like the anti-Pawapuro thread is gaining momentum.

I'd also like to point out that I checked out the 5 star reviews on Amazon Japan and they're all new accounts with only that single and usually short review. It's all very curious.
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Jul 15, 2006 5:37 AM ]

"I sold Pawapuro 12 to get Pawapuro 13. I just sold Pawapuro 13 today to get Pawapuro 11."

HAHAHAHA!!!! That's the best line I've read all year. HAHAHA!!.

[ Author: NiGHTS | Posted: Jul 15, 2006 8:42 AM | TYS Fan ]

Is there any discussion of the positive parts of Pawa13? You're getting me all worried now man, this is the first Pawapuro i've ordered and waiting to try.

If 13 is bad, which one do you recommend?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 15, 2006 1:03 PM | CLM Fan ]

Perhaps 11 Ketteiban is the way to go. The pitching is a lot better and it has all the fancy defensive animations(Jeter throw, hot corner rolling catch, fence climbing, etc.) There are only like five or so less batting/pitching forms than Pawapuro 12. The last time I actually had a fun time playing Pennant Mode was with this game, so I'd say it's the best recent one.

There really aren't any positive parts of Pawapuro 13. Nobody's saying anything about positive aspects. I read a post by someone that basically summed things up and it went like this.

"Pawapuro 99(PS1) was the best new Pawapuro I ever played. Pawapuro 7 to 11 weren't bad, but weren't amazing. Pawapuro 12 was pretty bad. Pawapuro 13 is just awful."

When another fan asked whether he should buy Pawapuro 99, he said, "It'd be boring for you to play it today." meaning the difference in technology would turn off most fans. This is why I advise Pawapuro 11 Ketteiban over anything else.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 15, 2006 6:19 PM | CLM Fan ]

Here's your fan update for now.

"Sold it for 5390 yen. Turned out a lot higher than I expected."

"The bigger batters in the batter box is so annoying."

"I just bought Pawapuro 11 Ketteiban. What a great game."

"It freezes during match loading. Are you kidding me, Konami?"

"I bought it for 5680 yen and sold it for 5100. I came out a winner in the end."

"Kroon's 161 km/h fastball looks like a slowball."

"The Dengeki Playstation reviewer who gave this a perfect 100 points needs to die."

"I can't bat with the control pad."

"Use the analog stick."

"I've been using the control pad since 1994. I can't switch to analog."

"I threw a 46 pitch complete game in My Life."

It seems like people got their anger out yesterday and are calmer, since they've sold their copies already. Now it looks like they're advising less-informed yakyu gamers to grab Pawapuro 11 Ketteiban or Pawapuro 9 from used game stores.
[ Author: Guest: James | Posted: Jul 15, 2006 10:14 PM ]

A few questions to pose for you even though I pretty much think I know the answers for all of them.

1. Is Pawapuro 13 worth $200.00 plus? I don't have a PS2 and this game would be the only reason for buying one.

2. Is there a multiplayer feature in My Pennant Mode? By this I mean, my friends and I can play through the same season, same save file, alternating between at-bats and games played. It seems unlikely but this is probably the one new gameplay option I've been hoping to see for quite some time.

3. What all is the difference between Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 11 Chou Ketteiban and just plain Pawapuro 11? PawaMajor still hasn't warmed up to me yet so I'm looking to import another title from this series again.

4. Does anyone have a full starting roster of custom created players? If so, could you post their passwords? I'd love to see how my team of created players fairs against someone elses and maybe just watch a simulated season to see what happens.

Thanks for any help on this. :o)
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 16, 2006 2:36 AM | CLM Fan ]

1. Hell no.

2. In Pennant, there are two options at the start. The first is to play as a single team all by yourself, then the next is to be able to control all the teams. I haven't gotten into it at all, but I'm pretty sure it allows you to do just that. Anyone out there have any experience with "Minna De Pennant"? Shinigami?

3. Can't remember. I'll always advise guys to get the Winter versions of the games, though. They usually fix any bugs and complaints with the summer versions.

4. Nope and that'd take forever.
[ Author: Guest: Chris | Posted: Jul 16, 2006 6:26 PM ]

I took your advice bigmanzam. ive only gotten into this series recently, starting with pawapuro majors, which i quite enjoyed (ive only been playing american made baseball games up til now). based on popular opinion i went and got pawapuro 11, the winter version for my gamecube today for 3000 yen. lets see if i can take the team formerly known as the blue wave all the way...i chose them only because i live within walking distance of their stadium
[ Author: Guest: James | Posted: Jul 17, 2006 10:43 PM ]

Hey Chris.

Where did you buy the GameCube version of Pawapuro 11 for only 3000 yen?

I only ask because I'd like to do the same and that's a really good price.

Thanks.
[ Author: Guest: Chris | Posted: Jul 18, 2006 6:14 AM ]

Hey James, I got it at the games section of the Midori Electronics store near my apartment here in Kobe
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Jul 18, 2006 3:15 AM ]

Pawapuro 11 Chou Ketteiban (Winter Version / Super-Final Edition) was a good choice. Pawapuro 11 Chou Ketteiban and Powerful Major League are the only two Pawapuros I play anymore.

And in case you didn't know, these two games require different cursor settings (...in my opinion):

Powerful Major League - DIGITAL and LOCK-ON

Pawapuro 11 Chou Ketteiban - ANALOG and NORMAL
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 18, 2006 4:29 AM | CLM Fan ]

This is how I play Pawapuro 11.

When I bat, I set power cursor until I get 2 strikes on me. When there's nobody on base and there's 1 or no outs, I bat for contact and try to get a base hit. When there's someone on base with 1 or no outs, I always bat for power. This is how I avoid always hitting into double plays and making strike out numbers realistic. You will lead the league in hitting into double plays if you don't do this. When there's a runner in scoring position, I always bat for contact after 2 strikes. If runners are at the corners and there's 1 or no outs, I bat for power to try and at least get the sac fly. I also don't swing at strikes 1 and 2, unless the ball is a mistake pitch right down the middle.

Got that all? It's making for fun games so far. The only complaint I have is that Masahiro Abe is on pace for 30+ homers and he has D power, due to a bunch of bad pitches made. It's just a coincidence and I don't expect him to finish with anything more than 15. All my other weaker batters have 0 homers so far. I'll make a thread on my pennant later.

When it comes to pitching, I really don't have any advice but to ignore pitch counts. The pitch counts you'll have in this game aren't realistic, unlike Pro Yakyu Spirits 3. You'll have aces get tired at 70-80 pitches sometimes. Just forget about it and remember it's just a fun game. The batting and game balance easily make up for it.

This game and Pro Yakyu Spirits 3 are the two games that really make you use your bench. I had Kitagawa get injured, so Kawaguchi replaced him and has had a ton of hits despite having weak stats. Nori Nakamura and Mario Valdez were whiffing a lot and costing us runs at #4 and #5, so I switched up the order and made Kawaguchi #3, Isobe #4, and Abe #5. We've been scoring runs well since that move. I also like being like Bobby Valentine and messing with my order a bit for righty/lefty starters. Just the other day, I used Barnes as a lead off man(Ohmura got injured) against a righty and he went 2 for 4. All my batting averages are realistic and all the team stats are very solid.

It seems that the higher my baseball IQ became over time, the more fun Pawapuro 11 became. To this day, Pawapuro 11 is the only game I've played every game of in a season. I did that with Yakult back in 2004 and I remember the stats at the end of the season were very realistic. Only thing was that Shiroishi suffered from what Abe is having right now with getting a good number of bad pitches to smack out. He finished the season with 14 homers, I believe.
[ Author: NiGHTS | Posted: Jul 18, 2006 3:16 AM | TYS Fan ]

Well my copy of Pawa13 is still coming, even if it sucks I'll still attempt to play it even if it does suck. I haven't been able to find a copy of Pawa11 but I am going to keep looking. In the mean time, I am trying to get a copy of Pawa9 since the 2ch people didn't seem to mind that one terribly.

*still hopes I enjoy it*
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 18, 2006 4:31 AM | CLM Fan ]

I'll go back to it tonight and see if I can figure anything out. I'll also keep checking the Japanese boards to see if anyone knows anything.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 18, 2006 4:07 AM | CLM Fan ]

Wise decision. I hear the Gamecube version is great because there's very little load time, too.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Jul 18, 2006 5:40 AM ]

NiGHTS,

Looks like play-asia.com still carries most of the Regular(Summer) and Final(Winter) editions for Pawapuro 9 through 12 - for both PS2 and Gamecube.

Again, the Final(Winter) editions tend to be better because they have added animations and gameplay tweaks not included in the Regular(Summer) editions. The Final(Winter) editions are called "Chou Ketteiban" for Pawapuro 10 and 11. The final edition for Pawapuro 12 was just called "Ketteiban"...don't know why they dropped the "Chou."

Here's the link, check out pages 1 and 2:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-19-71-99-49-en-15-powerful%2Bpro.html

I don't think play-asia.com sells used copies. Hope this helps.
[ Author: NiGHTS | Posted: Jul 18, 2006 4:05 PM | TYS Fan ]

So you believe 11 is the best? I'll order it in a week or so then.

So they come out with two different versions of each game in a year? And I thought a Madden every year was too much
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 18, 2006 8:21 PM | CLM Fan ]

Wow. It seems like even this guy on a radio show is dissing the new Pawapuro. He basically said how much the game balance and Success Mode sucks. Guess Konami ticked off a few Pawapuro fans with big voices. Speaking of Success Mode, there have been numerous reports of games locking up during Success.

People don't like paying 60 bucks to get a product inferior to a version made years ago. I think Konami is starting to see that and I hope they're ashamed of themselves. They need to stop worrying about opening health clubs and becoming media giants, and focus on what got them success in the first place, games. It's pathetic to see Konami become such a ridiculous company.

Anyway, one person on 2ch ranks the games like this, and I think this will help those of you wanting to know how good each game is.

6>5>2000>Pawapuro Portable>11>9>4>7>10>12>8>PowerPocket 8>>>>13

I can attest to the greatness of 5. It's for the N64 and I remember being blown away with how much of a challenge it was without being cheap. Dunno about 4. If he's talking about the same N64 Pawapuro 4 that I have, the "Clay Fighter" type graphics really turned me off.

6 is basically like 5, but with updated rosters and stuff. I bet the Success Mode is better. I'm definitely gonna try and grab 6, 9, 2000, and a couple DS Pawapoke games the next time I go to Japan and hit the used game stores.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 18, 2006 8:53 PM ]

If anyone interested, I have a copy of Pawapuro 11 (not the winter version though) on gamecube that I want to sell.
(I'm getting the ps2 version).
you can email me : swammi45@hotmail.com
[ Author: Guest: Shini | Posted: Jul 19, 2006 12:42 AM ]

I've heard that the new DS pawapoke aint that good? the best ones are the earlier pawapoke's....with almost everyone saying their stories are the best ever in terms of all of pawapuro games.

I've only played 10~pawamajor (haven't got hands on pawapuro 13...but aint giving high hopes on it...), and the best for me is also 11~chou, then pawapuro 10 >>> pawapuro 12 > pawamajor for me

see I play success mode, mylife and pennant the most, and I'd say 10's success seems the most interesting...while 11 has the best overall gameplay. the luck/random factors in the newer success completely disgusts me...to be honest.

well...guess i will wait another week and test out pawapuro 13 myself...but from how they decided to sell the game to other aspects heard...i really never had that much of a high hope that it's gonna be good...

if u're thinking of getting pawapuro 11...definitely go for chouketteiban...it's got one extra scenario in success mode, updated stats and some fixed bugs.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Jul 19, 2006 1:22 AM ]

NiGHTS,

Pawapuro 11 Chou Ketteiban is probably your best bet right now.

BigManZam,

Thank you for all of the 2ch updates, and now the radio show report. I've found them illuminating. I'm so glad that I didn't just rush out and buy Pawapuro 13 this year.

I'm seriously considering picking up 9 Final Edition.

Does anyone know of a website that sells USED import games online, other than Ebay?

Hopefully, those great old N64 Pawapuros will be playable on the Wii.
[ Author: Guest: Chris | Posted: Jul 19, 2006 5:52 PM ]

I dont know if this will be much help to anyone, but if you're in Japan, and your Japanese is up to par, the amazon.co.jp site has people selling used games on it, and they seem pretty reasonable too. Of course you might still be able to get it if youre not in Japan, but the shipping might make it not worth it.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.