Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Best game ever...

Discussion in the Video Games forum
Best game ever...
So I've been playing PYS4 for PS2 and I finished second place with the Marines. The Climax Series began and we faced off against Nippon Ham in a 3 game series to determine who faces Softbank.

First game, our 15 game winner Hiroyuki Kobayashi goes 8 innings of 3 run ball. He gets 5 runs from the offense as Soichi Fujita and Masahide Kobayashi close the door.

Second game, Naoyuki Shimizu pitches 6 innings of 2 run ball. The bullpen starts out solid, but Fujita and Uchi give up 2 runs each. Yagi was unhittable for the Fighters and they used their bullpen well to beat us 1-6.

The deciding game was the one that was just insane. Shunsuke Watanabe started for us and Satoru Kanemura started for the Fighters. Shunsuke starts off terribly and gives up 6 runs in the first inning. I decide to take him out and use Naruse, who I moved to long relief specifically for the postseason. Naruse pitches solid, but gave up a run trying to get out of the nightmare first inning.

Wu comes in to relieve Naruse and pitches 3 innings of shutout ball. Wu was in the bullpen for half the season and rotation for the last half. I put him in the bullpen in favor of Ono as our 4th starter.

Julio Zuleta hits a solo homer to make the score 1-7. I don't want to give up anymore runs, so I use Yabuta to give us some shutout innings. Kanemura gets tired around the 6th inning. He gives up a hit to Hayakawa, walk to Fukuura, and then a 3 run shot to Benny. Score is now 4-7. A comeback is possible, but I have to keep the Fighters at 7 runs.

Yabuta loses some zip on his pitches, so I send Masahide Kobayashi in a desperate move for scoreless innings. We go into the bottom of the 8th still at 4-7.

The Fighters' bullpen, which has been weak all year, get in a jam. They put 2 guys on with 1 out and Micheal Nakamura is sent in to stop the rally. He gives up a hit to Benny and now the bases are loaded for Zuleta, who hit 43 homers and 130 RBIs. One swing can give the Marines the lead. STRIKE OUT! Saburo goes up to bat. Grounder to second. At this point, I thought the game was over. That was the one chance to win the game.

KobaMasa throws a second scoreless inning and we go into the 9th. I was 99% sure Micheal was gonna shut the door and our season would be over. Satozaki pops up. 1 out. Aono gets barely enough wood to hit a dribbler up the middle and one man is on. Imae strikes out. 2 outs. Micheal is getting tired at this point, and I check the Fighters' bullpen. Micheal is basically the only pitcher they have left. There's still a chance we can come back if he makes bad pitches. He then walks Hayakawa.

Tsuyoshi is up to bat, but he's been weak all year. We need someone who can hit a homer to tie the game. I use Hori to pinch hit for Tsuyoshi. Hori is the regular second baseman, but he got a day off today against a right-handed starter. He's been very clutch all year. Made a diving stop to win game 1 of this series. So Hori goes up with 2 on and 2 outs. Micheal hangs one and Hori sends it to the left gap for a 2 run double(Hayakawa is very fast). Score is now 6-7 with a runner in scoring position 2 outs.

Fukuura comes up and Micheal is dying of fatigue. Hori is replaced by pinch runner Otsuka. Micheal somehow throws quality pitches to Fukuura despite the fatigue. An inside fast ball gets blooped and Inaba is ready to throw out Otsuka at the plate. It's very fast, but just offline and the game is tied. Benny grounds out to short and we got into extra innings.

KobaMasa does some overtime, but gives up a run. Score is 7-8. At this point Micheal is really overworked, but he could still get the win with enough decent pitches. Zuleta hits a lead off single and Minami pinch runs for him. I contemplated bunting for the tie, but decided against it since Micheal could give up a walk. He did just that to Saburo and I bunted over the runners with Satozaki. Aono was replaced with Hayasaka earlier and Hayasaka has G meet and F power. I couldn't pinch hit for him, since there would be nobody to play second base if more innings had to be played. I stuck with Hayasaka and he ended up hitting a liner over the defensive shift and both runs came home for the come from behind sayonara win.

By far the craziest win I've had. The fact that it was the deciding game in the playoffs made it even more intense.
Comments
Re: Best game ever...
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: May 10, 2007 12:34 PM | SFT Fan ]

Now tell us how you did against SoftBank! Hope you didn't have to see too much of Kazumi Saitoh.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: May 10, 2007 7:25 PM | CLM Fan ]

Kazumi has killed us all year. He won 19 games and won the quadruple crown yet again. We had Ono face him in the opener and we lost 1-6. Second game was KobaHiro vs. Wada and we won 5-4 in 12 innings. Another classic. Third game was Shimizu vs. Arakaki and we won 2-1. Shimizu threw 8 innings of 1 run ball.

Strategically, I really need to beat Sugiuchi, because I don't want to possibly face Kazumi again in a deciding game 5.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: May 11, 2007 6:47 AM | SFT Fan ]

That's the absolute last thing you want is to face Saitoh on a big stage. It would be like the Red Sox throwing Josh Beckett at you.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: May 12, 2007 6:40 AM | CLM Fan ]

Ended up beating Sugiuchi. Shunsuke only went 4 innings before I knew I had to go to the bullpen to keep the score low. We then swept Hanshin(yet again) for the Nihon Series. First game with Kobayashi vs. Andoh was great, though. We won 6-5 in 10 innings with a bases loaded sayonara hit from Aono off of Fujikawa. All the games after that were blow outs.

I'm pretty much done with PYS4 now. I'm really disappointed in the Pennant Mode after the first year. I'll post a comparison with Pawapuro.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.