Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pennant: Pawapuro vs. PYS4

Discussion in the Video Games forum
Pennant: Pawapuro vs. PYS4
Well, after winning it all on PYS4 Pennant Mode, I feel I should post this thread comparing it to Pawapuro's Pennant Mode.

PYS4

Pros - Fatigue system, starting rotation, bullpen management, missions

Cons - Laughable fictional players(draft, gaijin), easy player development, only 5 years, poor trade system, CPU management of player numbers, uninspired offseason mode(way too easy to get players), players never get injured

Pawapuro

Pros - 10 years long, many offseason options(FA are difficult to obtain, can send prospect overseas, etc.), draft scouting, realistic trades with automatic number assignments, realistic rookies and gaijin, challenging player development, ability to hire coaches, realistic injuries in realistic situations including random injuries after games, ability to sign players coming back from the majors

Cons - Difficulty can't be changed once you begin, no missions, no in depth fatigue system

My opinion is that PYS4 Pennant is only good for playing a single year and Pawapuro is good for many years. The bad gaijin and rookies in PYS4 really kills any replay value for me. They all have no gloves and all use the same boring generic batting stance. Their faces also use the Spirits Mode editor, so they look terrible, too. Offseason is so bad that I could sign Kuroda as a free agent with no problems at all. In Pawapuro, you'd have to give him crazy incentives not to go overseas. Overall it feels like the people behind Pennant in PYS4 just didn't care about a lot of things. It feels like laziness took over in a lot of areas. There's really no excuse for a player to use the number of an existing player after a trade is made. There's no excuse for using the same batting stance and accessories for every fictional player.

I still feel that Pawapuro 11 Ketteiban is the best overall yakyu game experience, if you know Japanese. The physics and AI are on point and it has enough of the modern features of My Life and Pennant to keep you playing for years(and unfortunately, we've been forced to). The only downside is that it was released before interleague, so you're going to be playing the same 5 teams over and over for 130-140 games per season. There's also no playoffs for the Central League.

Let's recap the modern Pawapuro series, though...

Pawapuro 10: Great game, but My Life isn't quite as refined as it will be the next year.

Pawapuro 11: Builds upon the greatness of Pawapuro 10, but adds a ton of new defensive animations. Success Mode with the Japanese National Team is also probably the best Success scenario of the past few years.

Pawapuro 12: Messes around with physics way too much. Received a ton of complaints about the CPU hitting too many homers. You can also strike out almost anyone if you throw a high fastball.

Pawapuro 13: A complete joke. The downgrade 12 made on 11 is multiplied about 1000 times with this. Possibly the worst Pawapuro ever made. Many hardcore yakyu game fans think the series turned into a 100% anime otaku game from this point on. Seems to be the influence of director Toyama, who took over since Pawapuro 12. He's allegedly a huge anime otaku.
Comments
Re: Pennant: Pawapuro vs. PYS4
[ Author: Guest: Johnny LaRue | Posted: May 12, 2007 3:45 PM ]

So in your opinion Pawapuro is more geared to those who are into the micro managing aspect of the game? I hate to say like the Madden owner mode but its the only analogy I can think of at the moment. Would you say Pawapuro is more detailed/sim based and PYS4 is a pick up and play game?

Also how long did it take you to finish a season on PYS4? I bought PSY3 last year in Japan for PS2 and it took me some of Spring and all of summer to finish a season. I can't fathom playing 5 seasons and 10 seasons would be a life long task for me on Pawapuro.

Pawapuro intrigues me and I was debating picking up 11 when I go to Japan in a few weeks, but it seems like too much for me (the scouting, hire coaches, offseason options..etc).

Besides I don't think my reading skills are that great. I'm probably at a grade 3 level for reading.

But thanks for the info, I'll probably steer clear from Pawapuro and stick with PYS4.

[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: May 12, 2007 5:17 PM | CLM Fan ]

I would definitely say PYS4 is more valuable as a pick up and play title. It's especially better if you're trying to transition into yakyu from MLB. Pawapuro is the best, but it's a hard sell for the average American gamer.

I've been playing since a couple days before PYS4's release date. For more than half the season, I was just tweaking settings to get the most realistic stats at the end of a game. I turned off replays, skipped a lot of cut scenes, etc. To be honest, I had absolutely no life at all to play that much. Even though I was cruising through it, I was basically playing that whenever I wasn't working on the computer or watching/going to a real ball game. Pawapuro matches are a lot shorter, smoother, and won't seem like it's eating your life away. Which is kind of a double-edged sword, I guess. Hehe.

This is only the second time ever that I've played through a whole season. The first time I did it was with the Yakult Swallows on Pawapuro 12 Ketteiban, I believe. I played half a season(game had a feature to play from the allstar break with real stats/standings from the season) on The Baseball 2003 Syuukigo.

If you have basic Japanese reading skills, I highly suggest you challenge yourself with games like Pawapuro. How do you think I learned how to read Japanese? It'll click in your brain eventually.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: May 13, 2007 6:01 AM | FSH Fan ]

Pawapuro's match are definitely much shorter and faster.

It's less detailed in the 'show-casing' aspect (the celebrations, on deck...scenes), but more detailed in the gameplay scene, with more neat stuffs to do. Pawapuro doesn't even seem to need to load when u play thru a match.

If u're into pennant mode, definitely try to pick up a pawapuro (11k, or 12k is still good enuff imo). Even just auto-sim'ing thru the season it's much more fun than PYS. The in-season options does require some time to adjust, but it aint something that's impossible. As long as u know the basic stuffs, u should be able to get thru the season. Off-season stuffs u can save and play around, it really aint THAT tough, altho it does require some time to pick up if ur Japanese isn't that good.
[ Author: Guest: Johnny LaRue | Posted: May 13, 2007 9:14 AM ]

Yea some Japanese games I own have helped my reading skills. Fire Pro, Taiko drum master, ..etc. Most of my reading is from kids books and teenager magazines.

Can you let the CPU do the trading, hiring of coaches, ..etc on pawapuro? Honestly, the depth of the game kinda turns me away from it. I average about an hour of video games a night before bed and so far the "pick up and play" games are more geared towards me.

I just worry I would spend an hour (or more) doing roster moves, hiring coaches, trading, offseason stuff ..etc. Is it too indepth for an average casual gamer like me?

Also, how is the learning curve/difficulty? I'll be honest I am not a great gamer and for PYS4 I have it on default difficulty and bump the CPU pitching down a notch to keep the games close.

On PYS4 its nice in the sense my friends can come over not knowing any Japanese and I can play it with them. Can I do the same with Pawapuro? Or am I stuck translating for my friends?

Lastly what's the average price for Pawapuro? I should be able to pick it up used pretty much anywhere for a decent price right? Any stores/places you would recommend?

Thanks for your opinions/answers in advance.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.