Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Picking up PYS4 again...

Discussion in the Video Games forum
Picking up PYS4 again...
For the past few days, I've been playing PYS4 for the PS3 a lot more. I've been messing around in MVP Mode with Johnny Kuroki and adjusting rosters to reflect the end of the season. I never really played MVP Mode much before, so seeing all the MVP specific Missions is really cool. After being more used to the PS3 and not expecting it to be able to produce 100% smooth games(at least not for now), the graphics don't bother me as much as they did when the game first released. I still think the game is way too dark. You ever seen how much fluorescent lighting they use in those domes in Japan?

Anyway, I'm having fun picking this game back up again. If anyone in the states wants to play a game online, my PSN is the same as my name here. It'd be fun to see whether online is any better without the terrible lag.
Comments
Re: Picking up PYS4 again...
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Nov 2, 2007 7:42 AM | FSH Fan ]

MVP is pretty fun to start off with.

But then after u reaches the max trust from ur manager (max star), and learn all possible stuffs from ur other pitchers, then it's just pitch pitch pitch pitch and pitch.

I was in my 3rd or 4th season in, and there was no missions since like end of year 2. And unlike mylife in Pawapuro, roster dun change, players stats dun change, but they still seem to get old and suck. I was playing with Chunichi, and first 2 years were all powerful batting and stuffs, T Woods and all were having monsterous years. Then in the 3rd season (where Woods' like 40 already), he's hitting .240ish and has like fewer homeruns than a lot of the other guys.

Yamamoto still pitches, but seems to get smack around on a daily basis.

Heck, even Tatsunami's still playing regular third base.

That's where I stopped after seeing no changes at all to any rosters.

Hope they fix these things up in future PYS.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 2, 2007 6:52 PM | CLM Fan ]

You're right on. They have a ton of work to do as far as CPU management AI and player progression is concerned. Pawapuro has the benefit of using the AI and progression they've been using for years now. Spirits has to work from the ground up. Gotta keep in mind that some of the top class guys from past Pawapuro titles only got to the PYS team in time for PYS3. They've had to do a big time overhaul of gameplay, AI, physics, and animations. Hopefully they'll give graphics and animations a bit of a rest for PYS5 and work on making Pennant and MVP a lot more enjoyable. As it is, PYS4 is just a title you can only play one game a day with. The fictional players at the end of the year are laughably bad.
[ Author: Guest: Dev | Posted: Nov 7, 2007 11:16 AM ]

Hey BMZ,

I am a little late in the game but I just got my copy today and I also checked out your translation guide. I have viewed the game on CPU v CPU mode but can't seem to alter the camera angles. I went into the utility mode and I thought I made the changes in settings but I continue to get the regular TV view. I want to also view behind the catcher and also see if there are other angles to view in the outfield. Does anyone know how to change angles in Exhibition CPU v CPU mode?
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Nov 8, 2007 12:47 AM | FSH Fan ]

I dun think there's an option to change camera angle for CPU vs CPU???
[ Author: Guest: Dev | Posted: Nov 8, 2007 11:04 AM ]

Also, can anyone tell me which sound settings represent what sounds. The top one is commentary I believe. Is there a way to lower the sound effects of the ball being hit or the pop of the ball hitting the glove?
[ Author: Guest: D | Posted: Nov 11, 2007 11:11 AM ]

Is there a way to create a player or players and have them play in exhibition mode?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 16, 2007 3:31 PM | CLM Fan ]

Spirits Mode is the only way to create a player.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 16, 2007 3:36 PM | CLM Fan ]

Let me load up my PS3...

Presets go like this...

Normal, Custom, Stadium, Dynamic, Field

Volume levels from top to bottom are...

Commentary
Stadium music/announcer
Crowd cheers
Crowd voices(like, "IIIIICE CREAM!!!!")
[ Author: Guest: D | Posted: Nov 20, 2007 10:43 PM ]

Thanks guys for your answers to my previous q's. On emore Q. I also have Power Pro and notice some similarity in the layout betw Yakyu & Power Pro (since both are Konami. In the 1P mode I have the option to allow the CPU to control base running, batting and fielding. Is there a way to do this in the 1P v CPU mode in Pro Yakyu??
[ Author: Guest: Dev | Posted: Nov 21, 2007 7:01 AM ]

I was wondering whether PYS has a similar set up like in MLB Power Pro 1P v CPU mode where 1P can have the computer do things automatically like field, bat and pitch? If so is the set up similar to MLB PP so that I could MLB as sort of a translation Guide?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 21, 2007 12:29 PM | CLM Fan ]

It's set up nothing like Pawapuro, but you can do it. Go to the main User Settings screen. There's a FAQ on Gamefaqs, if you can't find it. I translated all the options. You have to manually bat and pitch, but you can set it so the computer will run and play defense for you.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 22, 2007 12:07 AM | CLM Fan ]

I played online again for the first time in a while. Got clobbered 0-8 by some guy using the Carp and won 4-1 by someone using Hanshin. Looks like activity is ZILCH before night time in Japan. Nobody had played any games for the whole day, then I sign on around 10 PM Japan time and there are at least 28 people in the free match server. Doesn't look like anybody is playing ranked.

ONE GUY HAD 1500 GAMES PLAYED!!! Compare that to my 6 games played. I challenged someone who was like 150-1(who had a room inviting BEGINNERS in) and he declined my challenge. I had a record of 6-1 when I challenged him, so you can guess how he got that record.

Lag is still pretty terrible. It takes away from the experience. I find myself misplaying balls on defense because of it. My pitch timing is usually decent. It's not fun at all to play against someone who obviously plays the game way too much. Guy hit 3 homers with Soyogi against me. He hit like 6 homers in the entire game. They were all on pretty good pitches right on the black.

It's also not fun to have the unchangeable options, because I can't stand pitching with standard pitching cursor. I'm used to throwing sliders that drop and big curve balls. It's hard for me to predict where the breaking balls will break without real pitch cursor.

It seems like every single time I go online in PYS4, I leave online mode via server disconnect. They could probably patch this problem if they gave a rat's ass, but they don't. They could also probably patch the old PYS3 batting and pitching forms being used. I really do hate Konami for being so pathetic with their online play. It's perhaps even worse than 2K Sports, which is saying a lot. At least 2K provides roster updates.

Overall, many months after buying PYS4, I'd say that it's a game that had a lot of potential but really was unfinished in the end. The graphics are great when there are no framerate skips, but so many flaws just lead me to believe it was rushed out. Maybe if they decided to release it in the middle of the season, it wouldn't suck so much, but they had to release it right as the season began for those extra sales.

The PS2 version feels like way more of a finished game due to the fact that gameplay is smooth and there is no gimped online mode. There are still those terrible bugs, though.

I have to wonder why there is zero support for their online mode after all this time. There is no statement about lag and they completely ignore the fact that they use the different forms from PYS3. They don't even address it on the FAQ on the official site, which is just despicable to me. It's a very sleazy thing a western developer like EA would do. Up to this point, Japanese developers have taken pride in communication with their customers. That's really changing with the new Konami.

Remember when those videos of the PS3 version came out and the gameplay was silky smooth? It's just false advertising. It's like selling something on eBay, claiming it's brand new, when there's a big crack or a stain on the item. Sure, you might get away with that one sale. You'll have that money in short term, but don't you think that person will leave negative feedback? You'll lose more sales in the longrun. I really do think that's what we're seeing with Konami right now. They're not thinking long term. They got too big for their britches. That's what happens when you don't have competition. You have that mentality of, "You don't like it? So what? We're the only game in town." Namco tried to compete, but they don't have the money or the talent.

The good news is that they're seeing backlash with the new soccer game, despite Famitsu giving it a platinum score. Apparently the new Winning Eleven aka Pro Evolution Soccer has an online mode just as gimped as PYS4 and the European fans are used to higher online standards. The decline in quality has also lead to a general consensus that FIFA has "won" the soccer game war for 2007, which would be the first FIFA victory in a very long time.

Konami needs to learn how to make online work, because that is one of the main selling points of the next generation. Invest in dedicated servers and a small staff to deal with online updates after the games are launched. It's not an option to have the ambition to go online in a game and not see it through. Online games have their issues after release, as any Warhawk player can tell you. If they can't adapt, they're going to be left in the dust by companies who can...or just flat out lose customers to many of the other forms of entertainment.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 22, 2007 12:17 AM | CLM Fan ]

Here are some videos of PYS4 online on YouTube. You can get the general idea of how bad the lag can get.
[ Author: Guest: Cyphre | Posted: Nov 22, 2007 3:25 AM ]

BigZ, I have to somewhat disagree with the online game play. I haven't had any lag issues while playing online. However, I do believe some people have cheat codes that help them hit the ball for power more often. I mean when you have someone who has played 600 games total and connected for over 1800 HR's that is ridiculous. Especially when you have your best pitcher and you are on point with your pitches, and your opponent has someone at the plate that hits less than 10 HR per season. I believe there is a cheat code that has been exploited and being used. I try to avoid those players. I love this game, I think it's the best ever overall, but I hate to play with cheaters. I do agree that they should have more options for online play, like leagues and roster updates, however I am happy with they way it plays online.

The other thing they should have is more support for this game overall. It does feel like they just wanted to make a quick profit and abandon the project, not good if they plan to continue adding games to the series (leaves a bad taste among players). They should also have in game chat support as an option. It is good to find good players and be able to talk with them during a game. It also helps with leagues and games (ranked and unranked).

Anyhow, my PSN is CYPHRE316, I love playing this game (online and offline). I do play fair and don't quit (unless I suspect cheating) I will play anyone who plays fair regardless of record, not that I am the greatest player, (my record is 28-24-17 online) I just enjoy this game and would like to create a "circle of friends" that also enjoy this game. And maybe create an association/league with these players, so we can simulate seasons online and maybe have a website where we can post schedule, stats, results, standings, etc. But players would have to be active and serious about it (just an idea). Or just to play for fun. I will play a ranked or unranked match, like I said; I just enjoy playing this game. Anyone who wishes to send me a buddy invite can do so, again my PSN is CYPHRE316, you can also send me a message letting me know what times and days your usually on (your local time). I am on Central Time (US) and am online any chance I get, but most commonly between 7-11 pm my time.

By the way does anyone know if there is a mod chip of soft mod for the XBOX 360 that allows it to play imported games? I would love to buy a copy of PYS3 and Wrestle Kingdom, but don't have the money to buy a Japanese XBOX 360. Thank you in advance for any help with this. Happy Thanksgiving to EVERYONE!!!!

[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 22, 2007 10:09 AM | CLM Fan ]

Next gen games are way too difficult to try and mess with. It's pretty much impossible to mod the systems because of the mandatory firmware upgrades. Also, if you somehow mod an Xbox360, you won't be able to go online with it. Xbox Live will detect the changes and ban your Xbox Live account. Your only option is to buy a Japanese 360. I don't recommend it, because 360s are notorious for breaking down, and a Japanese 360 in the USA will void your warranty.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 3, 2007 7:47 PM | CLM Fan ]

Well, looks like you're onto something with the cheats. I refuse to play PYS4 online with any stranger ever again. Some guy just hit a few homers and doubles off the wall against me when I was throwing perfect pitches at the corners with perfect timing using Hiroyuki Kobayashi's A level slider. Absolute BS. It was the first time ever that I refused to finish a game on PYS.

What fun is that? I'll never understand cheaters. As if video games weren't a big waste of time already. Cheaters just make it even more of a waste of time.
[ Author: Guest: Cyphre | Posted: Dec 4, 2007 12:14 AM ]

I told you so. I also noticed that when you power off the system (thru the power button on the system) while playing an online game, it does count against your record. That is now my counter measure when playing with cheaters. I mean if you throw a perfect pitch and some one times it perfectly and hits a homer or double, that's fine. But when they are tee-ing off on every perfect pitch, that's a different story. I don't know if you've notice alot of slowdown when this happens. For some reason I make a perfect pitch and it slows down until my opponent makes contact, yet when I bat this doesn't happen. That's why I think there are cheat codes or exploits that someone has figured out and just ruins the whole experience. That is also why I'm trying to have a list of non-cheating buddies that would like to create a league or just a good list of buddies to play each other. By the way BigZ, I replied to your message about setting up a time/date to play PYS4 online. And this goes out to anyone that would like to play a fair game PYS4 online, my PSN is Cyphre316, so send me a request. I tell you this also, I don't quit (unless playing with cheater), so if you are "whoopin" me in a game, I'll take it like a man as long as it's fair and square. I do enjoy playing this game alot and can't wait for PYS5.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 4, 2007 12:59 PM | CLM Fan ]

I think I sign on too late for you. I'll try to sign on earlier in the future.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.